“There comes a time for departure even when there is no certain place to go.”
—Tennessee Williams, 20th Century American Playwright
Take a few minutes to examine your personal and professional communities. Ask yourself the following questions:
- How much do I look forward to participating in this community?
- How well do the people in this community share my vision and values?
- How much influence do I have on the goals and direction of this community?
- What learning and growth opportunities are possible in this group?
- How well does this group fulfill my desire for a purposeful life?
Where might you need to make changes – large or small – in how you spend your time, and who you spend it with, even if there is no clear alternative place to go?