We can be telescopes or microscopes. We sharpen the mind through focused attention.
—Calm App Reflection
Compared to other creatures in the animal kingdom our natural abilities to perceive our world can appear less than remarkable.
- Dogs have 300 million scent-seeking receptors compared to six million for humans.
- Bats navigate in the absence of light by sending out ultrasounds and can analyze the signals that bounce back.
- Spiders construct sensory nets where their webs can capture the slightest vibrations.
- Snakes and other reptiles are sensitive to infrared.
- Bees and many birds are sensitive to ultraviolet.
Fortunately, we humans have a solid mix of sensory abilities and the wonderful capacity to expand them through the development of amazing technological innovations.
How and in what ways can you use your mind and focused attention to expand your perceptional abilities and interact more successfully with the world around you?