“The trouble with life in the fast lane is that you get to the other end in an awful hurry.”
At no time in history have we ever been more productive, and achieved more in our professional and personal lives. Who doesn’t find themselves racing through their days to keep up or stay ahead of the pack?
Unfortunately, this increase in achievement and productivity is often associated with considerably more stress and less fulfillment and satisfaction.
Examine the following list of daily activities many people engage in, and notice your own level of urgency to finish them as quickly as possible:
- Reading email and other forms of written communication.
- Eating your daily meals.
- Conversations with friends, family, and colleagues.
- The number of hours of sleep you get each night.
- Your driving speed throughout your day.
- Your propensity to multitask.
How and where in your life would a slower pace, taking the time to savor sights, sounds, and tastes bring you greater success and satisfaction throughout the day?